May, 8 2012 - My husband took part in the purest form of democracy. Weeks ago I thought I had my mind made up. I thought it wasn't going to be changed. I early voted. I'll be honest. I don't mind doing that. I voted no to amend our state constitution to define marriage. My reasons at that time were simple. 2 years ago my mother was involved in a not so flattering relationship with a so-called man who beat her. I was there with her to obtain the emergency protection order against him. I was there when the court date came around. I was there after the court date where he tried to run my car off the road driving her back home after the protection order wasn't extended. It wasn't fun seeing my own mother go through this. I told her afterwards if she got back with him I would not be in her life. Thankfully she hasn't.
The wording of the amendment is similar to the wording in one of Ohio - where domestic violence laws have been challenged due to this. I hope and pray this is not in the future for NC.
However, I did change my mind on the issue last week. I could only hope and pray from that point on that my husband did his research. In my life, I define marriage as a man and a woman united in holy matrimony. I swore on a Bible that I would love and cherish the man laying next to me forever. I do not believe in divorce. I see a lot of my peers now who want to make divorce illegal now since the amendment has passed. I think they're full of it and mad at the world right now, but I would support it. I saw my mother go through 3 of them. When I got married I made it clear to my husband we were together forever and I would not entertain any thoughts of a divorce when things were tough.
Does this mean I have an issue against those who are gay? No. It's their personal choice and I am not God. All sins are level at the foot of the cross and if I let a cuss word slip out of my mouth I am just as guilty as they are. All I can do is ask for forgiveness and pray. I want them to have health insurance and legal protection if things go south, but marriage to me always has and always will be a man and a woman committed to each other.
I am appalled at all of the hatred on Facebook after this vote as well. We are grown adults acting more childish than my one year old sleeping in his crib. It disappoints me that if someone doesn't agree with another persons opinion that a war of words goes on.
My husband asked me tonight as we laid down in bed this question. I didn't press my views on him about the amendment. I just told him why I voted no but had a change of heart. "Are you going to be mad at me if I voted yes?"
I just smiled at him and told him no. Then he went on to explain why he voted the way he did. We did this in a civilized manner. No hateful words exchanged. Just I love yous and goodnight afterwards.
Then it made me realize just how blessed I am to have a husband dedicated to making our marriage work.
Now that I've blogged. I'm going to bed. I have a doctor's appointment for my daughter on the way in the morning. Let's hope she's doing amazing in there still. Yeah that biopsy on February 9 never happened. They ran a pregnancy test first. Came back positive and come to find out I was 22 weeks pregnant. Talk about a surprise :)
<3
No comments:
Post a Comment